[Ansteorra] recorders

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:59:52 PST 2012

The side of the whistle part of the recorder, and the level of exactness
with which it was made affects how well it sounds and responds to the
player. The finger holes also need to be very specific sizes and shapes in
order to vent the correct amount of air. If the tone holes are not right,
it affects how well certain notes play in tune. This can mean that if you
play a low C and a high C, one of the two might be sharp/flat even if
everything else is correct. A properly made recorder will be very
consistent about how it speaks and how much air it needs throughout its
range.

This is where the choice of a first instrument really matters. I picked up
a recorder in a music shop and it was so out of tune with itself that there
were a few notes that were just unusable. I also had a lady come to the
last recorder class that I taught with an instrument that -- try as I might
-- I could not get to play in the second octave due to the labium being cut
wrong.

If you are purchasing your first instrument (be it a recorder, trumpet,
oboe, whatever) you should never try to just pick one out.  You might get
lucky, but you may also get a lemon, and that bad instrument might end up
ruining your enjoyment of music (I've seen it happen more than a few
times). Seeking the advice of someone who has been playing for awhile and
knows what to look for in an instrument (even a $20-$35 recorder) can go a
long way to helping you get something you will enjoy playing.

--AS Zorzi