[Ansteorra] Fw: [SCA-Chirurgeon] Rethinking the hydration paradigm

Renee Pitcock elwenaduialloth at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 15:21:28 PST 2012

Yet this discussion fails to take into account other factors such as excess simple sugars in the soft drinks.  It is often not considered a good idea to flood your body with sugar after strenuous exercise.  Rather, more complex starches like breads, pastas, and crackers are preferred.  In particular, soft drinks are high in fructose, which is rapidly digested, but not necessarily turned into glycogen to help replenish reserve energy stores.  It is more likely to be digested and converted to excess fat than anything else, and it still leaves the body with less than satisfactory reserves of energy.  Plus, when the body DOES have excess glucose in the blood stream, it can choose to excrete the excess in urine, which does lead to increased water loss due to osmotic pressure in the kidneys.  The other substances like dyes and such in sodas that cannot be digested will have a similar effect.  Looking at only the caffeine in sodas in an overly simplistic
 view of things.  Bottom line, it's usually wiser to drink water, replenish electrolytes, and ingest complex carbs FIRST, then look at your sodas.

~Morina O'Donovan