[Ansteorra] Rethinking the hydration paradigm

Liam Gordon cenliamgordon2005 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 18:00:14 PST 2012

Overall, I think what Master Galen was addressing was the habit, if you
will, of our water-bearers and other fighter-support folks to push water
water water or a 50% Gatorade-water mix for hydration and nothing
with caffeine.  Caffeine is the devil, Bobby Bouche!  These are all sugars:
Fructose = sucrose = lactose = glycose (yes, lactose is a sugar for those
who didn't know this).  What makes them different, mostly, is their
chemical make-up and how each individual's body processes the sugars.

The funny thing is, sports drinks (Gatorade and Powerade) both have liquid
sugar and glucose-fructose in them.

So, too much of simple sugar and caffeine is a bad thing.  As one who
participates in heavy activities, I find myself to be the best judge of
what I need to rehydrate, unless, of course, I'm passed out on the field.

I, for one, am glad that someone has come along and posted some emperical
evidence pertaining to caffeine and how it effects the body.  A coffee
drinker for almost 30 years, I would hate to see how I reacted without
it...  LOL!

In Service and another point of view,

Liam

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Renee Pitcock <elwenaduialloth at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I'm not saying caffeine is evil.  I am pointing out that singling out the
> caffeine as the only factor that could cause issues during the rehydration
> process is oversimplification.  Too much simple sugar during rehydration
> CAN be a bad thing, and sodas definitely have simple sugars in abundance.
>
> ~Morina O'Donovan

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?