[Ansteorra] Offering help

Alma Danks wenchalma at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 19:56:16 PST 2012

I've been watching this post get alot of replies. Everyone agrees that the new folks need more resources and sometimes feel overwhelmed. I've been active in the SCA for about 3 years. I've been an officer for my barony and I'm still learning new things every event I attend. This past year I took a step back for personal reasons. In my absence, my barony welcomed a few members. I'm not a SCA expert, I still make mistakes and step on toes. But if anyone needs help or questions answered, I am here. I've never meet a stranger.  Just call or e-mail me, if I don't know the answer. I usually know who to ask....you can find me on the BBJ page under historian or on facebook under Mariana Garcia. When I have questions, I find that the best thing to do is to ask a few different people, then use the combined advice. If you need help, ask... I spent my first year in the SCA, very confused. Most members assumed others had told me what I needed to know. I finally just
 started asking questions. I also have a newcomers book. I can meet with anyone who wants and we can go thru it. Haraldr and Oksana hold an A&S day at thier home most sundays. They have folks who help with making SCA clothing, pottery, weaving and most things you can think of. We have a wonderful membership, you just have to ask for help. Someone will help you or send you toward the person who can help. We have great teachers in the barony and kingdom.
On the flip side of the coin, if someone offers thier time to help you with a project. Please be considerate and show up to meet the folks helping you. Or call as soon as possible to make other arrangements. The SCA is a great place to meet new friends and have fun. You can participate as much as you want, or as much as you can without judgement.
Mariana Garcia
Your Friend