[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Mon Jan 23 14:36:12 PST 2012

There is a lot of discussion about recruitment on this list, i hope
this is because we want more people to participate in our events. We
can also increase the participation at our events if we all
participate more often ourselves. For example lets say we have 48
events a year, and our goal is 200 active players people at each
event then the following things are true: If we all go to every event
then we only need 200 people total to meet our goal. If we all go to
two events a month then we need 400 active players. If we all go to
an event just once a month then the we need 800 active players. If we
all go to just three events every four months, that's just nine
events a year, then we need 1066 people, that is also the minimum
number of events a person needs to attend to save enough on non-
member event fees to break even on a sustaining membership. If we all
only show up once every two months, six times a year, we need 1600
active players. If we all go to an event once every quarter, four
times a year, then we need 2400 active players. If we all go to an
event twice a year then we need 4800 active players. Lastly if we all
go to an event once a year then we need 9600 active players.

It becomes immediately apparent that the fewer events we all go to
the more people we need to successfully recruit to meet our goal. But
lets also be honest, the fewer events you go to the harder time you
are going to have getting new people to go to more events. If it is
not worth your time to go to an event why would a new person, who
looks up to you as an experienced player, want to go to that event?
It is a simple matter of leadership, you cannot recruit people to do
what you don't do.

Cionaodh O'Hosey