[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 02:41:53 PST 2012

So expecting a person to show up and play on game day is what
prevents us from getting people to play, because going to events is
just too difficult. I agree that going to events is difficult which
is why I say the local activities should be focused more on getting
people to events. Part of getting them to events is helping them to
get there. I am not trying to put no value on the work done on a
local level, i am just saying the work done on a local level should
be focused on getting people to events. A well attended fighter
practice that sends no one to tourney is just a local fight club
claiming ties to the SCA. The measure of a successful fighter
practice should be not how many fighters attend it but rather how
many of it's fighters go to tourney or war. The measure of a
successful group should not be the number of people that group has at
populace each month but rather the number of people that group has at
events that month. It doesn't matter to the Kingdom when five hundred
of my closest friends get together in garb in my back yard, it only
matters to the rest of the Kingdom when they show up at an event or
host an event for the rest of the Kingdom.

What I am trying to point out is that there is a difference between
"increasing our number of local players" and "increasing the number
of people playing locally". Increasing the number of people playing
locally does not lead to more people going to events if your
activities are not focused towards getting them to events. In fact
just the opposite, if they can play locally a lot of people will
chose to stay home and play locally rather than go to the expense and
trouble of traveling to an event. Fighter practice is a great
example, we have i am told hundreds of authorized fighters in this
Kingdom, but most at most Tourneys we are lucky to have thirty show
up, and less than a hundred bother to show up and fight in one
tourney in a year. So all of that activity at the local level is
producing very little in the way of event attendance. At the last
event held by our group had all of the locals with paid memberships
in our group showed up there would have been no room for any one else
from the Kingdom, so what happened? We had plenty of room. So more
people "playing locally" does not mean more people going to events,
even local events. In fact fewer local activities could mean more
event attendance, we all have only so much time we can spend on SCA
activities, if we spent less of our SCA time on local activities it
would leaves us more of our SCA time for going to events, but if you
are going to four different guild meetings a week by Saturday all you
want to do is get away from the SCA.

In short, and not meaning to be cruel, our time and resources should
be invested in developing players who can and will go to events. That
will be more productive in the long run than trying to make the SCA
available locally for those who can not or will not go to events. For
instance I have only a limited amount of time to train fighters for
war, should i spend it working with people who can and will go to
Gulf War or should i spend it with people who can not or will not go
to Gulf War?  The answer is obvious, if a little cold hearted.

Cionaodh O'Hosey