[Ansteorra] Recruitment - vs - Participation

Brandon McDermott brandonsmcd at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 11:05:18 PST 2012

 I will start off by saying "I am the minority in this discussion in every way". I am a minority because I am Kingdom player who's participation level wasn't on the census chart because I went to too many events. I am a minority because I am a Noble.  I am a minority because I am a Peer.  I am a minority because I attend 2 Local events weekly in different Baronies.  I am a minority because I host a Local activity.  I am a minority because I believe that all events, large or small .... Kingdom or Local, should exist to nurture and feed the others. Neither can nor should exist exclusive of the other.

 The census showed us that most people find the SCA through a friend, coworker, or acquaintance that already plays. This places the recruitment burden almost entirely in the hands of the Local groups to be sure. But, we must be careful not to confuse recruitment and participation or even more pertinent, participation and betterment. As teaching and learning are two of our primary directives we need to ask ourselves if knowledge only taught, learned, or used in a vacuum meets that goal?

 Once someone is recruited at the local level, we must endeavor to show them all of the things that are available to do. Our artisans and fighters are some of the best in the known world, but if they do not travel or go to events, we all lose (what do we as a society call those of the Pelican path? Helper seems menial and their service is invaluable! Steward? The Great and powerful Oz? Alas.. separate thread). What we lose is their knowledge. That thing that makes us better. If someone who plays only on a local level figures out that one thing that we are all looking for but never teaches beyond that 1st Tuesday of each month guild meeting full of people who only go the that 1st Tuesday of the month guild meeting have we met more than the letter of our goal? Have we met or dare I say it exceeded the spirit of that goal? No.

 If we do not encourage Kingdom level play at the Local level and in turn send those kingdom players home to encourage more of the same we lose in every way. With the economy, gas prices, ipads, and the World Wide Web available at a glance everywhere we go, if we are not active at every level we can and will take a back seat to all of these things and more. We know that local players and local weekly events are our main recruitment points and have been for years, but we also know that membership numbers are down. Is the answer local or kingdom? I think both.

 I think I will close this by saying, "I believe we should all participate at whatever level we deem appropriate while seeking ways to encourage both ourselves and others to greatness without limiting ourselves or others through action or inaction."

Lochlan