[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Adam Edwards wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Tue Jan 24 12:34:47 PST 2012

Greetings,
      I think I might have an opinion. ;)  A little background first.  I
used to be someone.  Well, I thought I was someone.  Some old(er) people
may remember.  There was a time most everyone on a kingdom level had
heard of me.  I played. and played.  and played.  Every weekend it was
somewhere else.  A day trip was anywhere where I could get to and spend
as much or more time on site then I spent driving.  I went to every open
non-guild meeting too.  Went to 3 fighter practices most weeks and
whenever Central Region had an Archery Practice I was there too.  I
think my main talent was knowing people and listening.  If you came to
me with an issue I could either help you myself or more likely I knew of
someone else who I thought could use a chance to get involved.  I
connected people.  It was fun.

      Then I moved. Out here to the East Kingdom.  and not just the East
Kingdom but just about the farthest reaches of the East Kingdom.  No
more 3 Fighter practices a week. There was 1.  2 if I was willing to
drive 2 hours, each way.  Archery Practice... was on a different day but
it was where that second Fighter practice was, 2 hours. Each way.  I
went from being as active as one could possibly imagine to 1 fighter
practice,  and maybe an event a quarter.  I went to a war practice...
tried to talk about small unit tactics and drills but the consensus was
that people didn't practice together enough to make "hardcore" training
worthwhile.  Still I went to demos whenever and where ever they might be
held.  I know for a fact I brought people in because newcomers told me
it was my talking/fighting/passion that sparked something for them.
Anyway... I was looking for a point wasn't I?  Let's see if we can find it.

     There's been talk of Local Level and Kingdom Level Players.  Both
are good and both are required.  Hosey... of your 200 people you talk
about going to an event PROBABLY 100 of them are Kingdom level players?
Maybe?  That sound like a good number?  Cause I'll tell ya...  in my
Travels I met A LOT of people and I remember every single one of them.
Oh I may not remember their SCA names but I know a bit about them, where
I first came across them, who they know, and probably a bit about what
they like.  and I guess the point is that there was never really more
than 100 "Kingdom level" players @ an event.  Oh depending on what
region it was being held in and how BIG an event it was would change the
faces, but in general there was say 60% at most of the people where
kingdom level players and the rest where the local or regional players.
(I say regional cause there are a lot of people who will get out of
there own group but rarely out of there own region.)

     Haven't found that point I was looking for yet  have I?

      We will all tend to think whatever level of play we happen to be
at is the "One True Level" but they are all vital to the health of the
Society as a whole.  We were ALL local players @ one time, the majority
of us are still.  When I was going to every event I could get myself to
I still made it to Populace Meetings, Business Meetings and Local Demos,
even went to a few A&S meetings.  We will all be active @ whatever level
we chose as much as we are able to be.  So remember...  anywhere from
25% to 75% of the people at your next event maybe local or regional
people making it to one of the 2 or 3 events they will make it to this
year.  Heck, it might even be their first event ever.  So make a point
to get to know them.  They're Living the Dream the best way they know
how.  Make a point of looking for them the next time your @ an event
that's local for them.

     Well... that was a point but I'm not sure it was THE point.   Let's
see if I can come up with a Grand Unified Theory...

      In order to enjoy themselves everyone should play at whatever
level they are comfortable.  In order to have more active people in the
Society (whether they be new or not), we should all be looking for
people at other levels who are looking to try something new.  If we @
any level, meet someone who is interested in trying a new level, offer
to help them if you're able or direct them to someone who can.  Whether
it's a local person who wants to get to more regional events, or even
just getting a drive to a populace or A&S meeting.  Maybe it's that
mundane @ a demo who is kinda interested... don't just give them the
groups contact info... get theirs and have someone call the list of
names the first few populace meetings after a demo and renew any offers
to help get them there.  We can all help other people be more active at
whatever level they want to be active.

Okay...  I hope that was my point cause I'm tired of typing now.

In Service,
    Ld. Wilim Penbras
aka Billy Fathead. :)