[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:54:29 PST 2012

"When some one hosts a revel at their house for people who cannot go to a calendar event, that is a contribution our society, but to say it is just as big of a contribution to our society as the one made by a person that drove for eight hours to be at a calendar event does diminish the contribution of the person that went to the calendar event."

Lord O'Hosey,

The point of contention is that you are absolutely unable to prove that X<Y as you assert. I think it would be reasonable to assume that planning and preparing (and then cleaning up afterwards) a revel in one's home would require similar effort to driving 8 hours and participating in a calander event.

The issue in question is simply put: why is the calendar event the be-all-end-all of life in the SCA? It would be like my saying that you are only supporting the arts if you go see the MET, your local opera company doesn't count. An opera put on by a high school is just as valid an artistic endeavour as one done in Vienna, and opera is not the only facet of art.

The same goes with the SCA.

-- AS Zorzi