[Ansteorra] The Deed at Gulf War

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 07:04:44 PST 2012

Ladies and Gents,
  I got into the SCA because I love the look and feel of the middle ages, of armour as they really wore it, and the joy of intense violence.  I'd like to invite you to compete or at least watch The Deed at Gulf War because it fulfills that vision better than pretty much anything we do.  It looks great, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.  I love a regular melee, but this is the most fun I've had in armour so far.  I think many of you would enjoy it too.
  If you have questions about your harness working for this fight feel free to ask me.  I'm captain of the French team this year so I'll be working with the English captain to ensure the gear is right.  Tactically I advise you to wear a mail shirt, a full face plate, wield a 7 foot pole arm, and form into a tight lance.  All of those have saved my bacon in these fights and helped me bring home good loot.

  Enjoy!
  Gaston

The Rules:
We are all Ladies and Gentlemen. These rules are a guideline set to
establish a code of conduct for this Deed of Arms. We are all expected
to follow the intent as well as the letter of the rules.

KIT
~All of the gear for The Deed should be chronologically appropriate for the 2nd ½ of the 14th C.
~NO VISIBLE PLASTIC. (If it is covered in such a way to not become
visible then it is acceptable but “covered” does not mean just throw a
tabard over it.)
~ Helmets that would have been worn open faced will be allowed to
have bargrills. It should be noted that a bargrill is a modern safety
feature and the wearer is forsaking the protection of a closed helm.
~Obviously modern footwear (cleats, combat/hiking boots) is not
allowed. If they are covered, they will be reviewed on a case by case
basis. Vibrum soles on pseudo turn-shoes are allowed.
~Finger gauntlets are encouraged, mitten gauntlets are allowed, plastic gauntlets are not.
~Aventails on bascinets are required
~Greaves are required
~Sabatons are encouraged*
~Mail is encouraged*
*All else being equal, more complete harnesses with lower leg armors and mail will get on the field before a kits without.

WEAPONS

~ No basket hilts--all swords will have cross hilts.
~ Maces are allowed but must be reasonable length.
~ No unshaped pole arms--all pole weapons must have a definable head of significant mass.
~ No pole weapon may exceed 7 feet, and no sword may exceed 5 feet.
~ Daggers may be used for thrusting only.

CONDUCT
~ We are using an assumed-plate standard. Blows to the body and limbs have no effect.
~ Thrusts to an open face (i.e., a bargrill), neck, and armpit, all
“kill”. A cut or chop with a single handed sword to the face (bargrill)
will also count as a killing blow. If you are "killed", you are out of
the entire combat. If you are wearing mail, that part of you that is
covered by the mail is proof to thrust.
~Thrusts to the inside of the elbow, buttock, or back of the thigh
render you unable to continue but not dead. You may be called upon to
yield. If you are wearing mail, that part of you that is covered by the
mail is proof to thrust.
~ Heavy blows to the head *did* have an effect. With that in mind,
any stout blow to the head with a two-handed weapon or a mace will count towards being stunned. If you are struck three times to the head in any single engagement you are counted as stunned and must yield. If you get hit twice and then fighting breaks off, that's it, you start counting
over. If three different guys hit you in the head one after the other
with no real break in the fighting then you're stunned and you must
yield.
~ Anyone, at any time, may choose to yield.
~ Anyone who becomes ‘helpless’ (On their hands and knees, on their
back Etc.) and has an opponent's hand or weapon laid upon him without
being struck should yield as the opponent displayed great courtesy in
not bashing him.
~Becoming unarmed does not render you ‘helpless’.
~ Capturing Prisoners: If and when you choose to yield, then anyone
(from the other side) can simply place his hand or weapon on you and say something to let you know he's captured you ( e.g. , "You are my
prisoner.", or "I've captured you.", Etc.).
~ The captor or his agent must walk his prisoner off the field. The
prisoner may not call out for help or otherwise draw attention to the
fact that he is chattel. While the captor is escorting his prisoner, he
may be forced to fight. If he is captured or killed himself then the
prisoner goes free. During such fights the prisoner must stand quietly
awaiting the outcome.
~ Ransom (maximum of 3 per combatant): All combatants will be
encouraged to pay in a token ransom. It is up to the captor and the
prisoner to negotiate the terms of the release. The captor will receive
whatever ransom agreed upon at the end of the combat.
~If you have been captured and your captor chooses to keep you off
the field, you are obliged to stay out of the fray unless your captor is killed. Then you are free to do as you wish.
~ Combat will last until all of one side or either captured, killed
or have retired voluntarily. A 10-minute break will be called every 15
minutes. Anyone may quit the field for as long as he wishes, within
reason, to rest or rearm at any time.