[Ansteorra] Travel (was Re: Participation vs. Recruitment (long))

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:40:13 PST 2012

>       This is a game, people! Our founders meant it to be fun,
> encouraging, enlightening and educational. Not to find out how much money
> we have and how far we are willing to go to get a painted scroll on our
> wall, (nothing against the painted scrolls, I really love mine, they are
> beautiful even the mass produced photocopied ones from Trimaris back in the
> day) When we stop encouraging participation we will die.
>
>       We wonder why we cannot retain membership. You cannot recognize
> someone for their passion when they are dead, you must do it while they are
> alive and active. You cannot withhold recognition because a person doesn't
> have enough miles racked up or they will be come frustrated and you will
> lose membership. Petty politics is just that, petty.  By waiting, for
> whatever reason, you may lose the opportunity forever.
>

> Lady Augustina Johanna Elizabetta Michaela da San Germano
>  aka Tina

By the same token, I think many of us would do well to step back and
ask ourselves why we are playing. The ultimate reward for any endeavor
you undertake should be something you have control over. Whether it is
having and wearing the most beautiful dress you've ever laid eyes on,
or shooting a personal best on the range, or seeing an event run so
smoothly the participants are unaware of any hitches, that is the
reward you should be striving towards. If you aren't enjoying the
activity or the direct result of that activity (because let's face it,
sometimes we all want to fling our sewing machines across the room, or
curse a blue-streak on that 100th sit-up, so the process isn't always
fun, but the reward has to be worth it) then maybe you should consider
trying something else. You can't force recognition, nor can you count
on ever getting it. Ultimately, the only thing you have control over
are your actions and where you choose to spend your time. So for the
love of all things small and furry, spend it doing something you love!

Your achievements are the dessert, the recognition is just the cherry on top.

~Eve