[Ansteorra] maybe an answer to recruitment problems

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:08:29 PST 2012

> On the other hand, I know
> for me (and I'll probably say my husband as well) don't want to overwhelm
> any one we met with too many questions either.  I suppose it could be a
> version of peer fear, as we've heard call it.  We don't want to be
> annoying, we tend to be pretty shy, and we don't want it to be all about
> us.... But we want to learn, we want to get better, but we often don't know
> where to start.

Okay, let me give you a bit of insight... you know how you are seeing
the world in an entirely different light when you expose your two year
old to it? How showing her something new and seeing her reaction makes
it new and exciting for you too? Yeah, the SCA is like that with
veteran members and new people. The SCA can get pretty boring and
"been there, done that" for those of us who have been around for a
while. New blood with new questions, and enthusiasm, and passions for
different areas of history can make it all new and shiny again for us.
No one is ever going to chastise you for asking too many questions.

As a newcomer, the only way you can go really wrong is being the
know-it-all. This is true whether you are new to the SCA or a veteran
player just moved and newly arrived to an area, and heck, to some
extent it's true even if you've been involved for decades in the same
group. Everyone can always learn something new and none of us knows
everything.

> I don't know that the period stuff actually is a turn off.  It is just how
> to incorporate the period stuff without a) looking lame and getting
> criticized due to a limited budget

No one should criticize you for basic "get 'em on the field" gear. If
they do, they are rude and a jerk. And when you're ready to make your
second outfit, second piece of armor, or collect a second set of feast
gear, this is where that asking questions thing comes in handy.
There's period solutions in every budget range, and as a new member,
the best way to find those solutions is to copy someone else's
successful attempt. Never feel shy about approaching someone who has
something you'd like and ask them how they made it or where they got
it. People with nice things NEVER get tired of the compliment that is
someone else asking about it :)

b) acting like a fool because you don't
> know who is what or when to do/say certain things (I still can't remember
> what hats are what)

Don't worry about it. Treat everyone with respect, whether they are
wearing something on their head or not. You can't go wrong with that.
And never be afraid to ask someone how they'd like to be addressed.
Some people like to take titles that match their personas and thus
might be in a different language than is standard. Some people prefer
to be more informal and don't like to use their titles except when in
court, while others feel like formal address at all times adds to the
atmosphere. Asking someone's preference will never steer you wrong :)

c) looking or sounding crazy to people who aren't in
> the sca (How do you explain it to people who think ren faires are the norm
> and are completely filled with devil worshipers -ok that last bit just
> might be my mom).

"Research and re-creation of the middle ages" is the term I believe I
have seen my friends recommend to use in border crossings. Avoid
"medieval" because people just hear "evil". And if you avoid
renaissance that will avoid confusion with ren faires. Emphasizing the
research aspect can also help.

~Eve