[Ansteorra] maybe an answer to recruitment problems

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 14:48:37 PST 2012

Just a curiousity, here.

Back when I started, one of the first things I was handed was a Known World Handbook. It was all in there, welcome to the game, getting started, feasts, clothing, heraldry, fighting, arts, camping, titles and awards, courts and meetings, etc.

It was a Players Handbook for the SCA.

It covered in rather entertaining detail what most every newcomer might want to know, and it helped me figure out what questions to ask.

Would it help if local groups were sitting on a few copies for newcomers?

Better yet, should we consider having the Known World Handbook online someday soon?

Seems to me that would not only help get new folks, but also help with the issues newer players experience during those first years of play.

Nothing can replace face to face interaction, but the Known World Handbook really helped to fill in the gaps when I began.

~Finnacan