[Ansteorra] maybe an answer to recruitment problems

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:48:03 PST 2012

At 07:44 AM 1/17/2012, you wrote:

>I was under the impression that this was the Society for CREATIVE
>ANACHRONISM, not the society for compulsive accuracy.

Bear in mind, though, that our organization's name is not imbued with
some Deep Significant Meaning. It was thought up on the spur of the
moment by Marion Zimmer Bradley when she was reserving a park for the
second event. (The Parks Department reservation form had a line for
"name of organization" and that's what she came up with. The next
line was "title of person in charge" and that's where "autocrat"
comes from. Both names stuck, and that's why we still use them today.)

>Even though we all strive to learn more about our time period
>chosen, it is a process. We do not have to show up at our first
>event with everything in place. This is what I tell new comers, make
>an effort even if it is a t tunic over jeans. I have a spare tent
>and food. Come out and play. Then you can figure it out as you go
>along. I don't know about all of you but my personna has changed 3
>times in space and time since I started playing in 1988. Did not
>have complete kit for each change when done....just jumped in.. this
>is supposed to be fun as well as educational. Thanks for listening,
>                Johanna of bjornsborg

True. All the rules require is polite behavior and an *attempt* at
pre-17th clothing; there's no specification for how accurate that
attempt has to be. I expect most of our first outfits--possibly our
first two or three outfits--were pretty primitive (lord knows mine
certainly were. <G>)

         -Tivar Moondragon