[Ansteorra] team usa

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 08:21:33 PST 2012

Harold,
  Andreas' links will certainly be helpful.  I've started a more locally focused facebook group for this venture that you can join here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/240559779352950/243430999065828/#!/groups/226228210793668/
  The intent is to use it to organize support, practices and assembling gear.  A few things I'd like to emphasize- This is in many ways very different from SCA combat.  The expectations of the team for physical fitness, quality, historical accuracy and protectiveness of your harness is not what we're used to.  There are essentially two games these guys play, with 1:1 fights being a lot like SCA fighting, but with steel swords and a larger range of targets.  For melees it's all about knocking people out, or down to the ground.  For that, sword work matters less than positioning, melee sense, stamina, team work, and skill with a few take downs.
  There are national team practices in Illinois in mid February, and in Mississippi in mid March (not coincidentally very near Gulf War) which you should try to attend to secure a spot on the team.  Since time is getting short you can of course start gearing up for next year.  The event itself is technically 4 days long, but the team expects to be on site for more like 6.

  Another venture to consider is The Deed at Gulf War.  It's essentially fought with SCA rules and weapons, but the armour expected is a much more like that for The Battle of the Nations.  It may be a good stepping stone, and a lot of fun in its own right.
  Gaston de Clermont