[Ansteorra] Ansteorran insignia thanks and requests

Carolle Ternus clternus at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 18:07:46 PST 2012

Greetings Ansteorra from Radegund, Insignia deputy.

First, let me say "Thank you" to all those artisans who have donated insignia to
the kingdom.  Without your skills and generosity, Their Majesties would not be
able to recognize outstanding individuals with awards nearly so well.  There
continue to be many gentles worthy of awards, and so, the need for insignia
continues.

While all types of insignia are gratefully accepted, the following are in the
order of most need to least.
Pendant/brooch insignia:
Sable Comet
Sable Thistle
Sable Talon
Sable Crane

Ribbon/garter insignia:
Centurions
Stars of Merit
Irises of Merit

For the pendant/brooch type, you may think that you don't know how to make
them.  There are so many media that can be used: metal (cast, cut, etched),
horn/bone (carved, scrimshanded), embroidery (I have found stylish pendant
frames at Hobby Lobby), glass (fused, carved, painted), ceramic (embossed,
painted/glazed) and many more.  Don't be afraid to try a new technique.

For the ribbon/garter type of insignia, inkle and tablet woven are the most
popular techniques.

For guidelines, read Mistress Stella's wonderful document, "Award Insignia for
the Kingdom of Ansteorra" at
http://scribe.ansteorra.org/resources/ansteorranawardinsignia.pdf

Some reminders:
*Put your name and group on a card so that, just like the charters, the
recipients will know who made their insignia.
*Remember that Sable Talons, Comets and Cranes face a particular direction.
This is particularly important to know if you are using a technique that
requires the images to be made backwards.
*Use the image for Sable Thistles from Mistress Stella's document.  PLEASE don't
use Scottish  thistles.  It's not correct, and thus insignia with Scottish
thistles will not be used.
*As you attach the D rings to Centurion/Star of Merit/Golden Bridle insignia,
make sure the fold is on the opposite side of the decoration at the bottom.  Try
out putting one on; you'll see what I mean.
*Regarding sizes, it's helpful to have a variety of small to large, but it's
most useful to hit that middle range.

Thank you once again to all insignia makers, past, present and future.  You help
make the kingdom shine!

As I travel around the kingdom, I am available to give classes on insignia.  If
your group is interested, give me a shout.

In Service, I am
Radegundis
Insignia Deputy