[Ansteorra] Plague Doctor's Mask Documentation?

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 07:20:17 PST 2012

The idea of animals carrying diseases is based on germ theory, which wasn't really around until the late 1800's. Previously, people believed in the miasasmatic theory of illnesses, according to which the plague and other illnesses were caused by 'bad air'. The beak masks held smelly-good stuff, which was thought to act as a filter. So, early gas masks, lol. Also, I don't think that their design is any more intentionally reminiscent of diseased birds than our gas masks are intentially reminiscent of diseased insects.

-Rose the Obnoxious

*     *     *     *     *     *     * Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile. ~Hippocrates