[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 19:11:08 PST 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Tina Michael wrote:
>  Just because I can't attend every kingdom event does not diminish
> my contribution.

There is no desire to diminish any one's contribution when I say that
those that do the most to attend calendar events and help others
attend calendar events make a greater contribution than those that do
not. My wife makes a much greater contribution to the SCA than I do,
that does not diminish my contribution, it just means she makes a
greater contribution. While I am talking on this list giving my
opinion about what we could do better, she is painting an original
scroll to be given out to one of our most active members for his
success in accomplishing one of the greatest challenges in our
society, so who's doing more for the SCA at this moment? I think she
is. That does not diminish my "contribution", but to claim that the
time i spend in this discussion, especially in this forum, is a
"contribution to our society" that is equal to the contribution she
is making by making that scroll does diminish her contribution. When
some one hosts a revel at their house for people who cannot go to a
calendar event, that is a contribution our society, but to say it is
just as big of a contribution to our society as the one made by a
person that drove for eight hours to be at a calendar event does
diminish the contribution of the person that went to the calendar event.

But all of that is a bit off point so let me try again, To have 200
people on average at each event we only need 400 people if every one
of those people goes to two events a month, we need 9600 people if
every one of those people only go to a calendar event once a year, so
that said, why is it so controversial to say it might be more
efficient if  we narrowed our focus on finding and developing a core
group of 400 people that will go to two events a month than it is to
find 9600 people who will go to one event a year?  It is the
difference of 1 to 24, is it really easier to find and develop 24
people who will go to a calendar event once a year than it is to find
1 who will go twice a month or even 2 who will go once a month?

Cionaodh O'Hosey