[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:22:33 PST 2012

I feel that it would also depend on the types of events being held. If both events were exactly the same style then they would both lose out; however if one event were a tourney and the other a college+hafla, then you would see different types of people at the different events (and those different constituencies might both be happier.

The problem is that the DFW area is a small part of Ansteorra -- certainly they would be split; but what about Namron and Seawinds? Adlesruhe is a frigging far drive from Seawinds, where Loch Rudah isn't that bad (still not a drive I'd like to day-trip). As finances get tighter (and that is forecasted to be the new norm) we are better served by keeping more people involved more frequently.

It would also be nice to have more options. I'm sure that no few fighters have been frustrated when it seems like all of the events that they have a chance to go to are A&S focused (err... perhaps fighters wren't the best example there). I do think we would see more variety if baronies were holding more events per year, rather than just their one or two things. They wouldn't be forced to do everything at once to try to cater to everyone.

I think that as society and the economy changes we need to refocus on how we consider kingdom/regional/baronial levels of play.

-- AS Zorzi