[Ansteorra] pavilion stakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 16:16:22 PST 2012

I found some 12 inch stakes at Lowe'x yesterday. Previously I've only
been able to find 10 inch stakes. These look like large nails. So I
thought I'd buy some of beef up the stakes I've been using on our
pavilion.

I also bought some fender washers with the idea of fastening these to
the underside the tops of the nails to give a better anchorage for guy
ropes.

Previously I've used loose washers but they end up getting lost.

Unfortunately, the glues I've tried haven't been acceptable. I've
tried one of the two part epoxies which come in a form where you break
off a section and use your fingers to mix the inner and outer layers
and a silicon sealant called GOOP. The washer and the nail don't fit
snuggly together, so the adhesive has to fill in some gaps, yet still
not easily break or come apart.

If I had a welder, I could probably tack weld the washer to the nail,
with a loss of the galvanizing on both the washer and the nail, but I
don't have a welder.

Anyone made pavilion stakes this way? If so, how did you fasten the
washer to the nail?

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------