[Ansteorra] pavilion stakes

Haraldr Bassi ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org
Tue Jan 31 22:53:11 PST 2012

When I was using long landscape nails and washers, my solution was to simply not worry about
keeping the washer there. When the rope is on the stake the washer will be at the top of the
nail. When I am pounding the nail in, if the washer slips down I could simply hold it back up.

That said, I've seen the 1/2" to 1" clear plastic hose solution. It does make a smoother surface
for the rope to work around, but that hasn't been a big issue.

These days I am using 1/4" or 5/16" square stakes with a formed hook on the top for most of my
stakes and 1/2" square bar with a twist for the ones for heavy duty locations. I've found that
the longer 14+" square hold against the Texas soils (or sand as is often the case) better than
the round rod had been. I also find the ability to take a stake through the big hook and twist
around to loosen the stake in the ground to be much easier on my back when it comes time to pull
the stakes out.

Haraldr