[Ansteorra] Same-Gender Consort Proposal

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jul 17 21:29:56 PDT 2012

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012, Richard Threlkeld <rjt at softwareinnovation.com>
wrote:
>> New Proposed Language:
>> Each competitor in a Royal List must be acceptable to the Crown. If
>> competing with a consort, they too must be acceptable to the
>> Crown.
>
> Since I object to using the plural pronoun "they" to refer to a
> single person, I would prefer the following.
>
> Each competitor and consort, if any, in a Royal List must be
> acceptable to the Crown.

I cannot remain silent any longer.  I have to say that I am deeply,
DEEPLY offended.

"They" used as a first-person singular pronoun goes back to at least
Shakespeare.  Further, thou hast no leg to stand on if thou ever usest
"you" as a first-person singular pronoun, thou rogering tosspot.

As for the small side issue:

It sometimes happens that someone must reign alone, usually due to the
death of one partner, accidentally letting their membership lapse
(should no longer be possible), or a real-world intrusion.  I have not
been royalty and I have never been retinue, but from all I have heard,
that is very hard (even if it's not due to death).  I therefore would
oppose allowing someone to fight without a consort; I would almost
sooner support requiring both a consort and a ma{i^}tresse-en-titre to
allowing neither.

Daniel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com