[Ansteorra] Same-Gender Consort Proposal

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Thu Jul 19 05:31:09 PDT 2012

On 7/18/2012 3:46 PM, Patrick R wrote:
> If they reject a same sex group for reasons other
>   than their sexual preference it would still appear to be that they are rejecting them because they are homophobic. I have no clue if currently those rejected to compete the names are available to the people of the Kingdom but fear it would become a well know fact if a same sex group is rejected for any reason. Just my two cents and hope I did not offend anyone.
Thank you for pointing this out.  The BoD is putting the Crown in a
position to be harassed and labeled if they reject a same sex couple for
any of the reasons that have been cited--historical accuracy, the desire
for a woman to inspire, or gender equality, etc.  Just because you don't
agree with their reasons, they are still entitled to their opinions and
decisions without fear of retaliation of any kind.  Maybe the Crown just
finds the individuals not good candidates.  Don't say no one would
attack them, because this list proves that it probably would happen.
This should be the BoD's decision and they are passing the buck.  As
Lord Miles Grey pointed out, the majority of the populace is not wanting
this.  If Finland (someone of some list suggested that reason) or
another country's laws is the reason, then there is still no need for us
to change, as Corpora and other legal precedent state, Modern Government
Law trumps SCA law.  This means that within the jurisdiction of Finland,
their law supersedes. The rest of the SCA should not have to change
anything.

Another point for those who like to persona play:  Check out the Viking
Answer Lady's site regarding this issue:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/gayvik.shtml

If even the average person in the Viking ages was forced into a
heterosexual marriage or face the consequences, how much more so would
royalty?  Our personas would have to sit out a reign of a fudflogi or a
flannfluga, so I guess that /would /influence our game/.

/I know none of this will change opinions.  I thought this issue was
over and the BoD had published the results of the survey.  It seems that
the will of the populace isn't as important as they would like us to
think.  I'd encourage everyone to express their opinions to the BoD
/again/ and hope they are listening.

Ismet, a traditionalist who is tired of Modern and SCA politics
/

/