[Ansteorra] Tournament Societies was Questions about crowns and crown tournaments--dead kings

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jul 20 08:49:30 PDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012, Adalia <adalia.nyx at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Journal of Sport History, Vol 17, No. 2 (Summer of 1990) list a goodly
> number of German Tournament Societies.  It also discusses some tournament
> regulations and is very interesting reading....
>
> http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH1990/JSH1702/jsh1702b.pdf

Thank you!  It is indeed interesting.  I want to read it in detail.

There's one reference to a society having a king, on p. 10, "k{u'}nig
in der geselschafft" ("king in the society"!).  P. 13 has "As
Gumppenberg has argued, the tournament societies were quite powerful
on their own territory. They even elected their own 'kings'."  I want
that as a club (with no more than one nail, no larger than a thumb, on
the end) to people who whine that "voting isn't period".

I'm amused by the regulations to *prevent* people from too greatly
outshining others.  In our society, if someone were to "wear any
pieces of gold or woven velvet to adorn himself", he would hardly "be
treated with contempt by the nobility, no admittance to any dance or
to the victory-ceremony"!

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com