[Ansteorra] Tournament Societies was Questions about crowns

Richard Culver captbigdamnhero at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:25:10 PDT 2012

 and crown tournaments--dead kings

The continental Saxon were ruled by aldermen until such time that war
broke out. Then they would elect a king from amongst those with
appropriate lines who would then retire at the end of conflict. This
system continued throughout the height of the Holy Roman Empire, with
Emperors having be separately approved by the Saxon law in addition to
other imperial electors.

So voting was well known. Anglo-Saxon witans also had moments where
their vote on a matter of succession was more important than battle
skill, beyond the 1066 fiasco, the East Anglian witan pulling, I
believe, St. Anna (a make name there) out of a monastery to be crown.

Wihtric

Sent from my Windows Phone