[Ansteorra] Spring Plans

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Mar 4 23:01:56 PST 2012

My dear fellow Ansteorra
Greetings from Duchess Willow de Wisp
I  have been talking to fellow Lions and they have been telling me about all their wonderful plans to bring the medieval ages to life in our wonderful kingdom.
Master Thomas told me about his monks that called the canonical hours at an event and I was remembering when I did something similar some 35 years ago.
I so wish I could have interacted with Master Thoma's  monks.
A famous Sociologist Dr. Goffman? wrote that there werre  Pillars of Culture that every culture does in its own way. Time is one of the pillars.
Time in the Medieval time was very much different than time today. We had a class on it at a Early Kings College and a bunch of us started using the canonical hours. I had a big bell we would ring.
I felt by shifting ourselves into the world view of the Medieval man we gained a better understanding of then and allow ourselves to believe that our world of the SCA was part of that world. I believe by changing my time sense I was able to have a better, truer insight into the medieval period.
Our events are suppose to open windows into the medieval world. Our Courts, our tournaments, our balls and fetes are or should be little pieces of the medieval and Renaissance world.  That is why we try to cover up non period things and have period campsite and wear period clothes but while things are very important people are more. Part of the fun of the SCA is to grab a little piece of the Medieval or Renaissance culture and share it by doing it at events.
Here are  a few things I have found fun to do. Think of it as a savager hunt.
Find a good swear word from your period.
find a food you would like and share it
Discover a small sin from your time. You can be really guilty and eat butter during lent or have a late night snack.
Discover a Daring fashion. Find out what your color really means.If white and black meant constant purity what did Gray and black mean? Or what did it mean to wear a blue ribbon?
Discover how you would of felt about serfs or why Norse believed thralls were "ill luck'.
Read something from your time period.  Don't worry if you can not read get a clerk to read it to you.
I hope you will find me and share your discoveries.
Willow de Wisp