[Ansteorra] Spring Plans

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:20:03 PST 2012

Your Grace, I just woke up, and my eyes aren't working quite yet, so I have
only a quick reaction to your post before I get the day grinding.

I've often thought of Angelus bells. The Angelus bell is rung three times a
day: dawn, noon, and sundown. The prospect of an Angelus bell at dawn has
somewhat discouraged me from investing in a bell to take to events. I've
never been run off from an event site, and I kinda would like to keep that
record :-)

A couple years ago, I took off to the hill country for Spring Break so that
I could read the canonical hours all the way through at least two days.
That was quite an exercise--getting everything else organized around the
hours. It also meant getting up in the middle of the night.

>From what I remember, the canonical hours in the Benedictine rule are Lauds
(Or Prime, 6:00 a.m.), Terce (9:00 a.m.), Sext (12:00 p.m.), None (3:00
p.m.), Vespers (6:00 p.m.), Compline (9:00 p.m., at bedtime), and Matins
(or Vigils, 12:00 a.m.). The book I read for the hours has four-week cycles
for Lauds and Vespers, and one-week cycles for the other hours. Those are a
bit tricky to do at an SCA event, with everything going on (not only the
event itself but also the machinery of camping). I usually make a point to
read Lauds and Vespers--although I have much trouble reading them at 6:00
a.m. and 6:00 p.m., what with working them around the schedule of the event
at hand.

Ordering time at an SCA event, although tricky, could definitely add to the
ambience. I, personally, would like to see more of that. Being conscious of
the wheels of time turning as people were in period--without watches and
smart phones--would be neat for sure, since we don't normally have bells
marking the hours in the twenty-first century.

As always, Your Grace, many thanks for the food for thought!

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM, willowdewisp at juno.com <willowdewisp at juno.com
> wrote:

> My dear fellow Ansteorra
> Greetings from Duchess Willow de Wisp
> I  have been talking to fellow Lions and they have been telling me about
> all their wonderful plans to bring the medieval ages to life in our
> wonderful kingdom.
> Master Thomas told me about his monks that called the canonical hours at
> an event and I was remembering when I did something similar some 35 years
> ago.
> I so wish I could have interacted with Master Thoma's  monks.
> A famous Sociologist Dr. Goffman? wrote that there werre  Pillars of
> Culture that every culture does in its own way. Time is one of the pillars.
> Time in the Medieval time was very much different than time today. We had
> a class on it at a Early Kings College and a bunch of us started using the
> canonical hours. I had a big bell we would ring.
> I felt by shifting ourselves into the world view of the Medieval man we
> gained a better understanding of then and allow ourselves to believe that
> our world of the SCA was part of that world. I believe by changing my time
> sense I was able to have a better, truer insight into the medieval period.
> Our events are suppose to open windows into the medieval world. Our
> Courts, our tournaments, our balls and fetes are or should be little pieces
> of the medieval and Renaissance world.  That is why we try to cover up non
> period things and have period campsite and wear period clothes but while
> things are very important people are more. Part of the fun of the SCA is to
> grab a little piece of the Medieval or Renaissance culture and share it by
> doing it at events.
> Here are  a few things I have found fun to do. Think of it as a savager
> hunt.
> Find a good swear word from your period.
> find a food you would like and share it
> Discover a small sin from your time. You can be really guilty and eat
> butter during lent or have a late night snack.
> Discover a Daring fashion. Find out what your color really means.If white
> and black meant constant purity what did Gray and black mean? Or what did
> it mean to wear a blue ribbon?
> Discover how you would of felt about serfs or why Norse believed thralls
> were "ill luck'.
> Read something from your time period.  Don't worry if you can not read get
> a clerk to read it to you.
> I hope you will find me and share your discoveries.
> Willow de Wisp

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!