[Ansteorra] buying recorders (was: iso dance)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:04:02 PST 2012

There is a while array of techniques on the instrument that rely on being able to shade a hole to varying degrees without fully covering it. It just takes practice and familiarity with the instrument, and an instrument that is well-made enough to respond.

It's not a dumb question, there are many facets of recorder playing that aren't commonly talked about in modern method books. Shading is usually done to control intonation for one reason or another, it is also more common on earlier recorders.

--AS Zorzi