[Ansteorra] Elfsea Defender, take 3

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Mar 23 08:55:27 PDT 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea why my last email was all strung together. I'll try
> again.

I have a good text editor, so I'll do it.  (Gunthar, great event
announcement!  Especially Countess Elizabeth and the geese.)

Squire: "Boss, this tournament has multiple weapons. What do I do?"

Knight: "Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that
you don't know how to fight with many of these styles. The good news
is that neither do they."

Sound familiar?

Do you love fighting with a variety of weapons but hate Swiss Five
formats because it just seems the winner is the one who gets lucky
with an unfamiliar weapon?

Want to actually get the feel of a weapon style without worrying that
one loss puts you out of the tournament?

Do you hate travelling for hours to attend a tournament just to get
knocked out after two losses?

Want more fighting and fun than you can possibly handle and have the
possibility of great loot at the end?

Do you old timers miss "the good old days" when tournament sites
didn't have mundanes driving through thinking it was a Renfaire?

Remember when we all camped out together under the stars, far from
modern influences so that you could really get into the event?

Do you like great bling?

Everyone come to Elfsea Defender next week for some challenging lists,
a gorgeous campsite, food all weekend, togetherness, and the
recognition of the amazing Baroness Amalia in her elevation to the
Order of the Laurel.

You want a fun, tough list? Try this: Five 30-minute bearpit
rounds. Each round will be fought with the same weapon style.

Round 1 - Sword and Shield
Round 2 - Single one-handed weapon
Round 3 - Two-weapon
Round 4 - Six-foot spear
Round 5 - Five-foot axes

Finals will be the four combatants with the highest total points to be
fought best-two-out-of-three single elim. C'mon, ain't that a kick in
the pants?

Their Majesties will be there. Their Highnesses will be there. Their
Excellencies will be there. The Laurels will be there. The White
Scarves will be there. How about YOU being there?  You know you want
to.

In addition to all the tres groovy armored competition there will be
an equally groovy rapier list. And a youth list. And newcomer
lists. And an archery competition.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Courts. General Mayhem.  Countess
Elizabeth will do an interpretive dance featuring a fan and two live
geese. Check out the Elfsea Defender website for more info:
http://www.amaliascloset.com/Defender2012/invite_frame.html

You know you want to.

Yers, Duke Gunthar Jonsson
Elfsea Defender

(Legal Disclaimer: Some advertised activities may no necessarily be
performed at the event due to scheduling, availability, or anger of
certain Royal Peers. No geese were harmed in the production of this
email.)