[Ansteorra] Ticks will be rampant this spring

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:48:18 PDT 2012

At 07:59 PM 3/29/2012, you wrote:

>>I think someone once did an April 1 heraldic submission of
>>a centipede tergiant salient rampant passant statant couchant.
>>
>>Daniel (I'm not mortant yet) de Lindecolina

>I understood the rampant part, but what does the rest of that mean, in
>English, not heraldese?
>
>Thanks,
>   Stefan

Google is your friend.

Tergiant--with the shell turned toward the observer--basically a top
view, usually of a turtle.

Salient: Leaping, with both rear feet on the ground.

Passant: Walking. with the right forepaw raised.

Statant: standing still, all four paws on the ground.

Couchant: lying down, but with the head raised--your typical
library-lion (as opposed to "dormant" which would be asleep.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_%28heraldry%29

Presumably the centipede in question would be doing *all* of these
things with various sets of legs.

         -Tivar Moondragon
(Not a herald, but passable at research)