[Ansteorra] fwd: battle of the nations

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 2 21:27:58 PDT 2012

Some info from the Gleann Ahbann list on the Battle of Nations, which
I think I saw some mention of perviously on this list.

Unfortuantely, I can't get the video to play on my Mac.

Stefan
==========
battle of the nations
    Posted by: "Mark" wsklywbit at yahoo.com wsklywbit
    Date: Tue May 1, 2012 10:25 am ((PDT))

if your NOT watching at least some of this your missing so good
stuff...there is a LARGE contingent of SCA super dukes on the USA
team...next up is 21 on 21 melee....free here...http://www.medievalists.net/2012/04/30/battle-of-the-nations-warsaw-poland/
Vincenzo Traina

==========
Re: battle of the nations
    Posted by: "Scott 'Lorccan' Lee" lorccan at hotmail.com
lorccanhuaconchobair
    Date: Tue May 1, 2012 10:42 am ((PDT))

It's hard to follow a good bit of it, and the rules are very different
from SCA armored combat, but it's exhilarating to see our team
representing us in red, white, & blue!  We've done very well in single
combats, got trounced in 21 vs. 21 melees (where the difference from
SCA rules is most stark), and are holding our own in the 5 vs. 5
melees.  Against the top teams, who have been training year-round and
competing for several years in this sport, we are gaining respect
fast, and demonstrating exemplary chivalry/sportsmanship.

The Team USA page is www.usaknights.org , by the way.

===========
Re: battle of the nations
    Posted by: "Curt Workman" workmance at yahoo.com workmance
    Date: Tue May 1, 2012 11:17 am ((PDT))

Been watching some of it today and what I am seeing is NOT a lack of
skill of our guys, it is a lack of understanding the proper technique
that is needed for this kind of combat.

In the one on one fights, you can SEE the skill level of our guys and
that is why we are holding our own in those combats.  The group stuff
is just so completely different...

<sigh>  Oh lack of money and time...how I hate thee as I would so be
there if I could!

UtherKonig von Gleann Abhann

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com