[Ansteorra] Conversation starter...

Tina Michael tinabetta at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:28:06 PDT 2012

Many years ago I was working at Walt Disney Worl in Florida. I had injured
myself (long story involving a cat, a car motor and a severely sprained
ankle) (the cat lived, by the way) and I was manning a childrens activity
table near one of the attractions. A fellow who worked in the character
department approached me and noticed the picture I was drawing of my
own idea of a fairy tale princess and a conversation ensued. He said, "Wow,
you drew that?!"  Me,"Yep." He, "You need to join the SCA!" His name was
Johnathan  aka Valgard and he invited me to the Barony of Darkwater's event
that was to be held that weekend. I did not get much other information but
where it would be held.
 I showed up at the camp late on Saturday afternoon and stepped into the
world of the Kingdom of Trimaris.  I did not know anyone there, I hardly
knew Johnathan, I mean Valgard, but id did not take long to make an
inpression. I had been sewing for years and loved going to the Ren Faire so
I already had an impressive wardrobe, the gate keeper scoffed when I told
him I was a newbie, but he set me up with loaner feast gear and gave me the
rundown on the event. And a group of ladies that recognized me from the
Faire quickly adopted me and guided me along. I left the next day with a
new hobby that gave me a reason to do my other hobbies, new friends and
opened a new chapter of interests in my life.
  How did you get involved in the SCA?

--
Any day above ground is a good day!