[Ansteorra] Seeking information on History of the Shire of the Shadowlands, Ansteorra

Shadowlands Historian shadowlandshistorian at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 15:23:28 PDT 2012

Greetings from the Shire of the Shadowlands, Capital of Ansteorra, and most ancient Shire of the Known World.

My name is Paedric OMullan, and I have the honor of serving as the Historian of the Shire of the Shadowlands.

As this great and glorious Shire approaches its 35th anniversary, I am attempting to compile as complete a History as possible. I have scoured the archives of The Shadow Knows, the Shire newsletter, and have gleaned as much information as possible from that source. This "Concise History of the Shire of the Shadowlands" can be found at http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/history.php

Now I must turn to the former members of the Shire to help expand my efforts to create a more complete history. To that end I am looking for stories, anecdotes, and recollections about the history of the Shire of the Shadowlands. I would especially like information about the early days of the Shire, and its formation, but any memories any former Shadowlander might have may be useful. Such submissions may be edited for length or style, or excluded as inappropriate (not really looking to dig up the dirt...) All contributions will be credited.

Other specific information I am looking for includes, but is not limited to:
Order of the Shadowlands (OS) - sometimes called Order of the Shadow, or Order of the Shire of the Shadowlands - unofficial Shire award. Trying to compile as complete as possible a list of recipients as well as dates they were given
Meritorious Order of the Shire of the Shadowlands (MOSS) Trying to compile as complete as possible a list of recipients as well as dates they were given
Former officers of the Shire of the Shadowlands - offices held, as well as tenure of office
Competitions won, and at what event. Especially looking to make a complete list of Champions of the Round Table

I would also greatly appreciate any pictures which anyone might have from Shire activities, especially from the early years. Pictures used will be credited, and while not all pictures may be included in the final History, anyone submitting photos will be included in the list of contributors.

Being primarily a college based group, it is the nature of the Shire of the Shadowlands to lose most of its members over time, as they graduate and move away. Former members of the Shire are now scattered far and wide across the Known World. I would greatly appreciate it if people who are on other Kingdom lists, or other group lists within Ansteorra, would forward this missive to those lists. Also I know that there are many former Shadowlanders who are no longer active, but who may still be in contact with old friends who are still active, and, again, I would greatly appreciate it if this missive could be forwarded to those individuals. As you forward this message, please cc to me at this address if possible so I can keep track of what areas it has reached.

Finally, I would like to have a Museum of the Shadowlands at the Shire's event this Fall. if anyone has any artifacts of the Shire which might be of historical interest, it would be wonderful if they could be included in the museum display. Such items could be donated to the Shire Historian's office, or loaned for temporary display.

Thank you for your time and attention, and for your cooperation in furthering my efforts to record the history of this great Shire!
In service to the Shire, the Kingdom, and the Dream,
Lord Paedric OMullan, Shadowlands Historian