[Ansteorra] Conversation starter...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 14 22:53:30 PDT 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Chris Zakes wrote:

> At 04:28 PM 5/14/2012, you wrote:
>
>>  How did you get involved in the SCA?
>
> I first met the SCA over the point of a sword. Literally.
>
> This was in March of 1975; my residential college at Rice University
> in Houston was having its annual Shakespeare Fair, and ...

Had things worked out differently, that was about when I should have
joined the SCA. For that was when I first ran into the SCA. There was
a acquaintance on  my Science/Engineering floor of Jester Dorm at UT
who talked about this thing called the SCA. Bright red hair by the
mundane name of Rick. I've long lost contact with him, in case anyone
remembers him.

Some years later another friend of mine and I went down to the
Halloween bash on Austin's 6th Street. He in his mail shirt of
galvanized steel, and me in his older shirt of aluminum mail. I also
know now, why *I* got the aluminum mail. That oxide rubs off on
*everything*. He told me about the SCA and encouraged me to come out
to a fighter practice.  That he'd help me get into some armor and let
me see how I liked it. But I didn't.

Another couple of years go by, and in the fall of 1988, I went with a
couple of friends to the Texas Renaissance Fair in Magnolia, TX. While
their I signed up on the information sheet at the SCA booth. One the
way home I talked to a pair of my friends, Kim and Paul Schrueders
(Nina of the Lost Caverns and Demitre) about the SCA and I decided I
needed to be less of a hermit socially and they made a few calls when
we got back into town and confirmed that fighter practice was still
being done on Sunday afternoons in Waterloo Park.  That next Sunday,
or maybe the one after that I showed up at the park and started playing.

Early that spring, I joined several SCA newsgroups and started saving
bits and pieces of information that I thought I or others might find
useful in the future. 22 years later those couple of pages of notes
have grown into the Florilegium website.

Before I joined the SCA, I don't think I owned any books on medieval
subjects. Now there are bookcases of such books in almost every room
of the house.

There can never be too many books but there can definitely be too few
bookcases.
And too little time to read them all.:-(

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris