[Ansteorra] Seeking Hurdy Gurdy info

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 11:30:16 PDT 2012

Hi Bronwen (and anyone else with a similar quest),

  I'm happy to help out.  I've built a gurdy, though honestly the quality isn't great, and I play a better made one fairly well when I have the time.  I got my laurel in part for instrumental music about a year ago.

  Buying early instruments is sort of its own art, particularly for a beginner, and particularly for items in the price range of a hurdy gurdy.  There are lots of moving parts, not many makers, and it's a fascinating beast to many people, so they're not a trivial investment.  Unlike with recorders, cheaper hurdy gurdies are frequently unplayable.  I've found that to be true with double reed instruments too.
  Here's what I recommend- track me down when you can and we can chat about gurdies, and you can play mine.  Honestly it needs a little repair at the moment, and a second melody string installed, but it's allowed in public.  Lurk on the hurdy gurdy mail lists, start asking questions, and getting a feel for good makers and who gives good advice.  They tend to jump on every instrument that hits Ebay in the US, England and France with a run down of where it came from, what its pedigree is, who's owned it, what recordings its been used on, etc.  It's a small community, so someone probably knows the instrument or at least the maker personally.
  I'd be cautious of buying until you get a solid feel for what you really want, and what's possible in your price range.

  You'll probably find these two groups useful:

http://groups.google.com/group/hurdygurdy
HurdyGurdyForum at yahoogroups.co.uk
  Warmest regards,

  Gaston