[Ansteorra] Assistance needed for grad paper

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:06:12 PDT 2012

On 5/12/2012 8:37 PM, Eleanor Cleavely wrote:
> Good evening, all!
>
> I am looking for information on hospitality/lack of hospitality in the
> Middle Ages (ca. "Sir Gawain&  The Green Knight) from the perspective of
> the host. That is, what punishments or recourse would there have been if
> the guest violated the rules of hospitality? I've tried to Florilegium, but
> I'm needing a bit more information than what's on there.
>
> Any help you all can give would be most appreciated. I am hoping to have
> this paper turned in by Monday at noon.

Well, if you're willing to head West to Iceland, there is a wealth of
example of what happens to people who violate the rules of hospitality
in the Sagas. Njal's and Egil's spring to mind immediately. Lots of
rudeness and consequences in there. The Grágás, the Laws of Early
Iceland in use until the takeover of Iceland by the Norwegian Crown,
have sections laying out in great detail the penalties to be paid for a
large number of infractions by both the host and his guests.

Of course the Sagas represent only the approach of Norse culture to
rudeness, but in the short amount of time you have left, I'd dive into
at least Egil's Saga. The Sagas are probably your best bet for a
specific chronicle of societal interactions that includes the rules of
hospitality and the results of breaking them.

Good luck with your paper,

Cynric