[Ansteorra] Conversation starter...

Adalia adalia.nyx at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:59:20 PDT 2012

My friend Karen (who I'd met in the Student Union) introduced me to this
guy, Jon.  We became friends and over time discovered that each of us was
teaching  ourselves to play the recorder.  One afternoon, I brought my
soprano recorder over to his dorm room so we could share sheet music and
maybe learn something...then I discovered this really odd hobby he had...he
had left one of his closet doors open and hanging there in the open doorway
was tennis balls, in the toes of a pair of tights (if I remember
correctly)...not being bashful in the least, I inquired.  He reached into
the other side of his closet and brought out a sword (I don't remember the
exact type of sword, but it was metal....not rattan) and he demonstrated
the use of the tennis balls for target practice and tip control.  Of
course, then the conversation turned to the SCA, where he would use the
skills he was learning and after some more recorder practice sessions, he
invited me to my first SCA event....the Shire of Mooneschadowe was hosting
it's Guardian event...

Long story short, I was hooked.  Luckily, I can still call Jon my
friend....but more commonly, I call him His Excellency Facon.