[Ansteorra] Conversation starter...

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyyah zubeydah at gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:47:36 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  How did you get involved in the SCA?

My older sister. As a family, we had been playing D&D and going to
Renfaires for years -- my mom was an art history major and her primary
interest was in the medieval period. So we'd been exposed to that sort
of thing since toddler age.  I'd been to the Cloisters Museum, and was
just fascinated by it as well.  Our family had recently moved to the
midwest, and she'd found the SCA. There was a 'big' event coming up,
and my partner at the time was also involved. He invited me to go with
him, so my mom and I spent weeks sewing a costume from a Simplicity
pattern  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zubeydah/4181604627/in/set-72157624354919098
).  The event was the inaugural event of the brand-new Kingdom of the
Outlands, and I got to see their first Coronation: Gunwalt and
Aelflaed. I remember a few things from the event, but the one image
that stuck in my mind was the poignancy in the room when they sang the
'anthem' of the Kingdom of Atenvelt for the last time, prior to being
made officially a Kingdom of their own.

l I broke up with my boyfriend about 4 months after the event, having
only attended one other, where I did feast serving, and dropped out of
the SCA.  Fast forward nearly 15 years, and I moved to Tulsa. There, I
met up with some folks at a local practice, having hunted the SCA down
via website.

-zubeydah jamilla al-badawiyyah