[Ansteorra] Lifetime Membership

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:01:52 PDT 2012

Sorry, when you said "determined by them" I assumed "them" was the
member, not the corporation. So maybe you would pay $300, but what if
Lord Cheapsalot over there thinks that paying for 30 years was good
enough and he wants his lifetime membership for $5? That's why I
thought it was a rubbish idea. If the corporation set the rate it
might work.

Something else to consider... what is included in lifetime membership?
Obviously those things which can be provided at no cost (or
insurance-related cost, which is hard to calculate on an individual
basis), like ability to hold office, ability to fight in Crown
tournaments, and access to electronic newsletters. But what about
something with a quantifiable, recurring cost, like postage for print
newsletters? If someone was born to parents in the SCA who signed them
up for membership as teenagers, it is conceivable that they would
qualify for lifetime before they were 50 years old and play for
another 20 years after that. 20 years of mailings are going to add up.
I know that's the exception, but still...

I suppose the flip-side of the coin would be that this would be adding
"value" to your membership. By keeping up your payments you may one
day qualify for lifetime membership. Which might encourage people to
keep paying instead of lapsing when life gets in the way and they know
they're not going to be attending anything for a while anyway.

~Eve