[Ansteorra] Battle of the Nations

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 19:15:31 PDT 2012

My friends,
  As many of you know, I was able to compete in Poland this spring on the first American team in the Battle of the Nations.  It was an incredible experience- tons of fun, exhilarating, fascinating, terrifying, and moving in ways I never expected.  I'd like you guys to have the opportunity to share some of this joy and to join us in building the 2013 team.  There's a lot to do to prepare.  Armour, surcoats, shields and weapons need to be built.  We  need to hone skills that we haven't been allowed to use in the SCA, and levels of athleticism that most of us don't require of ourselves for typical fighting.  Honestly, some of the top crown contenders, guys that could take the title in any kingdom, guys who were working out for months beforehand specifically for these fights, were completely exhausted by this style.  Like a football team, there are many body types that are valuable, but everyone needs endurance and strength.  It's challenging.
 It's dangerous.  It's an adrenaline rush like I haven't experienced in the SCA in many years.
  So what am I looking for?  Guys who seriously want to compete to represent our country.  Training partners.  People who can teach us to grapple like pros.  People who can help us get in better shape.  Craftsmen to help build the proper medieval equipment that will keep our team safe and lethal.  Folks who will go to Europe and help with the thousands of vital tasks involved in keeping the fighters on the field like armour repairs, and procuring food and water for the team.

  If this adventure sounds like something you'd like to learn more about, please join the regional facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/226228210793668/   or email me privately.
  One of my favorite videos of the battles is this slow motion one of the all in fight.  It gives you some feel for what this combat is like, and lets you catch a glimpse of the bardiche Dietrich has been raising funds for in action:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oavYynqeQ&feature=related

 Regards,

  Sir Gaston de Clermont, OL, General of the Army of Ansteorra.