[Ansteorra] Warlord winners!

Alexandra Shahan acshahan at att.net
Wed May 30 20:27:27 PDT 2012

End of the month at work aside, I would be remiss if I did not report to the Kingdom the winners in the youth boffer events at Warlord.

Officially:
Youth Chivalric 16 and up division:
Dane the Red of Elfsea, son of Central Regional Youth Marshal Germanicus de Atlan

Youth Teen Division 13-15:
Jeremy Jones, son of Andrew "Bones" Jones of the Terrell group,

Youth Division 10-12:
Paul Williamson of Elsea, son of William Pelfrey  (I think he is also a knight?)

Kids Division 6-9:
Mary Fitz Galen, daughter of Sir Galen of Bristol.

we had many generous donations of prizes, really super great prizes, I'll try to cover them all here: Lady Emma Haldan - hand worked nailbinding garters for each winner in steppes colors. Designed for many years of proud display and a place to add their trinkets and tokens for many events to come. Vivat!!

Congrats to all!  And if you will indulge me a little longer - personal notes about each:

Dane the Red, 16+.  This was Dane's last event to compete in youth combat. Hours after his victory (the only youth in his age bracket was well tested by fighters from around the kingdom to well earn his title), he was authorized to fight in adult chivalric combat.  Sunday after a bit of work with the youth, he proudly stepped up and took his place among the adults in the Whitacre Pas de Arms. He showed well and was recognized by the ladies for his prowess on the field (proud dad did not miss a minute). We look forward to his input next year as the next crop steps up to fill the hole he left.  Awarded steel knees ready for adult armor and a stick of 1 1/4 inch rattan for that axe head he acquired at Pensic last year - go forth and conquer!

Jeremy Jones  13-15 teen division: (you SO need to get an SCA name).  Proud dad should like to know, far from the young man who first stepped up to boffer not too long ago, this one has come a long way in a short time. He has progressed on and off the field. Compliments abounded from the very young fighters he worked with to the marshals that had the pleasure of his prowess and enthusiasm on the field. Not my words, those came from the other marshals. (big grin)! We look forward to kicking this one up to the big times next year! Awarded a gift basket of custom feast gear. Each plate, bowl, cup and padded covers hand thrown and handmade by artisans of our own barony for the winner.

Paul Williamson: youth 10-12's:  not enough can be said about quiet enthusiasm. This was Paul's first youth boffer event ever. His background in martial arts and having a dad who is a fighter really showed. He was open to instruction and enthusiastic in participation.  And won his division.  Awarded a steel helmet, youth weight, ready to be custom padded (no more field hockey helmets for this one!).  Paul was also singled out by Reinhard Siebert who recently graduated from youth to adult fighting. Reinhard (tasked by Sir Malgwen of Bryn Gwlad) passed down his own boffer sword to a newly authorized fighter.

The youngest, but certainly not least (have you fought with her?) age 6-9 winner:
Mary Fitz Galen, daughter of Sir Galen of Bristol. Fiercely enthusiastic on and off the field.  Cross swords with her for a rockin' good time, then when she darts from the field and dons a dress, also worthy of courtesy and praise (and enthusiasm)!.  she was awarded a box of scale armor pieces (he dad says it's enough to outfit two of his!). No more loaner gear for this beauty in the near future!

One more of our youth, Reinhard Siebert, graduated. He left the youth world behind and with Dane the Red, took the field at Whiteacre's Pas de Arms for his first adult chivalric tournament. He came home with a grin that has not yet left his face and a fabulous dagger - gift of the event for his enthusiasm. Well done Reinhard and Dane!

We also had a wonderful donation of ABS plastic - probably enough to outfit at least 4 fighters. It can be heat molded or cut into scales. This will be awarded throughout the next fighting season with website links and basic instructions to help our up and coming fighters ready themselves to well represent the Steppes and Ansteorra.

I would be terribly amiss to not point out that we had a total of 4 totally new fighters on the field. And Daniel (son of Baroness Rixende and Lord Thomas)  joined us on Sunday for the crest tournament and squirrel ball. If you missed it, well you MISSED IT!!!!

Thank you also to all who came out as marshals and helpers: Lord Germanicus of Elfsea, Sir Galen of Bristol, Lord Alaric of Loch Ruadh, Paul Williamson's parents William and his lovely wife whose name I have completely forgotten (she kept all the kids watered on sunday) and my sister Baroness Clare and her husband Don Dore. The littelest bit of help makes my job so much easier.

The kids had a ball and all slept well. THAT is a good day!

Yours in service,
Lady Alexandra Notte Clare
Steppes Youth Marshal