[Ansteorra] Disputes in a mailing list

Webminister, Ansteorra kingdom at webminister.ansteorra.org
Sun Nov 4 07:17:02 PST 2012

Danyell,

I think you misunderstood exactly which laws I was referring to when made my original statement.  The IRS publishes a
guideline that covers recommendations for 501(c)(3) organizations.  (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/governance_practices.pdf)
This document, in section 4, paragraph D, talks about fund-raising.  This sentence is particularly relevant...

"The Internal Revenue Service encourages charities to adopt and monitor policies to ensure that fundraising
solicitations meet federal and state law requirements and solicitation materials are accurate, truthful, and candid."

The policy guidance that I have received for the Kingdom of Ansteorra is the test that I put forward.  If a fund raiser
benefits the Kingdom as a whole then you may post it without asking.  If an individual is the beneficiary from a fund
raiser then you should go through proper channels, the Kingdom Webminister, the Kingdom Seneschal, or the Crown, and we
will forward it to appropriate counsel and who will decide if it can be posted.  The governing documents and by-laws of
the SCA simply are not the only ones that you have to think of when you determine appropriateness for our organization.

As with all things even marginally related to our wonderful Kingdom, feel free to discuss this, either on the list, or
privately with me or anyone else, until you tire of it.  I am neither inflexible nor unwilling to listen but my public
face here will always be an attempt to reflect the policies and responsibilities of my position regardless of my
personal beliefs.

William Cameron deBlakstan
Webminister, Ansteorra