[Ansteorra] Are Westland Crafts shoes reasonably period in style?

Susan Tillery sutillery at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 13:55:31 PDT 2012

"Are these shoes “straight,” that is no lefts or rights?  When did  they start
making “lefts and rights” (shoes specifically for the left  and right feet)?

The work shoes produced here are indeed made  on a single “straight” last
(wooden form).  Thus a new pair of these  shoes consists of two identical shoes
that can be worn on either foot.   (Eventually the shoes will mold themselves to
the wearer’s right or left  foot, however.)

Shoes have been made specifically for the left or right foot for  thousands of
years, although this style has gone in and out of fashion  from time to time.
Straight shoes (made initially to fit either foot)  were the common fashion from
about the 1500s until the late 1700s when  lefts and rights began to return to
favor, especially for dress shoes.   Work shoes began to return to the left and
right style by the mid-1800s."
http://www.osv.org/explore_learn/village_tour.html?L=34