[Ansteorra] Fwd: [Mm] New Kingdom Missile Marshal

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 08:35:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Colin MacNachtan <colin at mccr.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, Alice Morrow Harris wrote:
>> This might be a stupid question but I have to ask is what in SCA is a
>> Missile?Missile Marshal? I've never heard these terms in the SCA.
>
> The Kingdom Missile Marshal is responsible for all things thrown or launched
> at a distant target (alive or not).  It includes target archery, combat
> archery, thrown weapons, and siege weapons.

Latin, from neuter of "missilis", 'able to be thrown', from "missus",
past participle of "mittere", 'to let go, throw'.

(As opposed to "missal", Middle English "messel", from Old French,
from Medieval Latin "missle", from neuter of "misslis", 'of the Mass',
from Late Latin "missa", 'Mass' ; see "Mass", as in the Catholic Mass.
C.f. cannon v. canon.)

Danielis Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com