[Ansteorra] Regarding Fund Raising

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 22 09:05:21 PDT 2012

Personally, I would rather not see *general* fundraisers on Ansteorran
lists.  That is, for example, fundraisers for SCA branches themselves
are fine.

For me, the issue isn't the inurement or private benefit.  It's just
that, if something is revealed to be a scam or even shady, I don't
want Ansteorra or any branch to be even slightly associated with it.
For example, if I say "Other people say that Chez Roadkill is good",
and friends go and have a horrible meal, I'm not really to blame but I
still feel bad and tainted by it.

People ought to realize that announced fundraisers, unless stated to
be by and for SCA branches, may well not be checked or audited, but
still, I would expect an overflow of bad feeling.  (I assume that SCA
fundraisers are checked and audited.)

As for how to do such things, I would like people to consider that
there is a substantial number of people who are not on Facebook,
Yahoo! Groups, and such, and are even resistant to going there.  I'm
not saying that you're a bad person for thinking of them -- I just ask
for inclusion to be *one* of the considerations in the particular case
you're working on.

Daniel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com