[Ansteorra] Real Royal Crowns

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 18:14:57 PDT 2013

Oooo I snagged a few of yours pins for my own pinterest board (http://pinterest.com/countesskat/medieval-late-period-crowns/). (Ignore the notes on the pics, most of them aren't correct and are not mine)  :)

I didn't mean to imply that ALL medieval crowns were 5lbs. And I'm certainly claiming no academic authority aside from my own study. There are many period crowns and coronets that aren't 5lbs... especially votive crowns which tend to be smallish anyway (as they were primarily used - if my research is correct - for display purposes in cathedrals), and funeral crowns that were rather spare with the use of gold (not surprising, they were being buried after all), relic crowns, crowns for weddings, some were made by lesser royals (not reigning monarchs) for ceremonial use...

I was really only talking about Royal crowns... i.e. the ones used in Coronation ceremonies... of the few that still exist in their original form, they generally fall into the 4-5lb ballpark. That I've seen anyway. :)  Most are extremely late period (some just barely post-SCA period). The Holy Crown of Hungary is one of the oldest and runs @2000g or @4lbs. Christian V's Crown was also @2000g. I've got no weight info on the Iron Crown of Lombardy, but I do know just from playing with materials out in the shop that so much enamel, gold and iron wasn't what the standard SCAer would consider "wearable." The Austrian Crown... same thing... And my personal favorite (hey, isn't enamel in gold always a win?) Constantine's Crown, a headache looking for a place to happen...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monomacho%27s_crown_-_circa_1042_Budapest.JPG

~ Kat M.