[Ansteorra] Lost at LPT

Dyan Johnson calendre57 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 08:25:03 PDT 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/apocalypse-now-family-built-castle-survive-doomsday-180832273.html

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, Patrick R <tex_yankee2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It may not be period but it sure looks pretty cool.

When the end of the world comes, looking cool is what it's all about.

> The father is a former Army officer so I am betting he knows what he
> is doing.

Because the US Army has training and exercises in building medievaloid
castles?

There's a reason they don't: not because castles went out of style per
se, but because anyone with cannons or good explosives could knock
them down tout de suite.

You may object that preppers assume a general societal collapse so
that there are few large weapons left.  I think a fair number of Iraqi
buildings had his notion of structure (a couple of stories, relatively
smooth sides, no obstructions, large windows), and I think US military
with assault rifles were able to handle them.  But I invite correction
-- surely there are current or recent military who can say "we could
take that" or "that's a tougher nut than you think".

You might also object that "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just
have to outrun you" -- it doesn't have to be tough, it just has to be
tougher than the neighbors.  But if it's known that the place is
well-stocked out of proportion to its toughness, or if it's otherwise
superior (like an attacker thinks he can take it and thinks it's a
better base than anything nearby), it may well be attacked anyway.

Danyll Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com