[Ansteorra] Things to get newcomers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 16 20:16:36 PDT 2013

Duchess Willow posted an email covering several issues.

<<< I know it is hard to do SCA on a small income. That is myproblem now. I guess I just need to be one of those thread-bare nobility thatRomance novels are always talking about. >>>

Well, except for a few exceptions, most of the SCA fits into this mold. Very few can afford the embroidered cloth or the decorated armor that the people we play could afford. And much of upper layer of society then spent a lot of effort and time trying to appear more rich than they were. And those that did have the wealth spent a lot of effort showing it off.

Here are a few files from the Florilegium that might be of use to both newcomers and more experienced folks trying to stretch their purses to look more fabulously rich than they are. And I would love to get additional such articles.

Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by
Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for inexpensive SCA clothing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

How-2-Fnd-Fab-art (16K) 12/18/11 "How to find Great Historic type Fabric for
Garb cheaply, at Thrift Stores." by Lady Catherine Rose FitzEdmunds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/How-2-Fnd-Fab-art.html

SCA-Upcycling-art (16K) 6/ 3/10 "SCA Upcycling: Costuming on a Budget"
by Lady Jeanne-Marie la Verriere.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/SCA-Upcycling-art.html

game-4-feasts-msg (20K) 4/16/11 Serving game animals at SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/game-4-feasts-msg.html

rasng-fd-fsts-msg (8K) 9/ 5/05 Raising plants and animals for SCA feasts
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/rasng-fd-fsts-msg.html

Cheap-Apicius-art (13K) 9/28/98 "Apicius for the Impoverished" by Margali.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cheap-Apicius-art.html

<<< But back 15 years ago and further backwe had a need for new people. >>>

We still have a need for new people. The number of folks playing in the SCA has stayed flat or shrunk over the last few years. Another possible problem is the fact that the average age of SCA folks is climbing. In some ways this is good, because it means people are staying in the SCA, but unless we are also bringing in younger folks, we will be like the amateur radio folks and similar groups where the membership is getting older with very few younger folks joining, and where there is a good chance of the groups dying out.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris