[Ansteorra] Why I Joined was ideas was Presentation at Round Table

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 11:17:14 PST 2013

Astridr said:
"I might offer a ride to someone I don't know very well, and I have offered crash space, but I still won't accept either from anyone I've known less than a year, or crash at a home I haven't previously visited. Maybe I'm just a control-freak though. "

Actually, your choice is a wise one, no need to apologize for it.  However, if you choose to:
Offer a ride to someone you don't know well, perhaps make sure you have other folks in the car with you that you do know well.

Offer or accept crash space from folks I don't know well - in the past, I've contact folks I do know from that branch to check that person out to make sure they are good folks, or get a recommendation from someone that does know them.  Then I make sure that other people know I have guests in my home and who they are, as well as to let the guests know that other folks know they are staying with me.  That's some things a Crash Space Coordinator can also do.  And once your guests have stayed at your home, they can offer their home to you in return, for events in their region.

While the SCA is built on honor, courtesy and chivalry; we live in a modern world and it's always wise to be cautious.   But, offering rides and space to other SCA'ers is a way to also build new and lasting friends.

Cheers, Hillary