[Ansteorra] on leaving the SCA--

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:35:14 PST 2013

Okay, clearly I am being misunderstood. I really don't get it. I don't
understand how one person saying "I should be freely able to apply
this horrible moniker to my friends" and someone else saying "because
it's both out-of-period and hurtful" is a bad thing. I didn't say that
anything else in their message was wrong. Feel free to embrace the
rest of it and enjoy.

When someone says "not being allowed to use this hurtful term in jest
is spoiling my fun", I'm put in mind of the popular kids in school who
would have said that calling many of us "geeks and losers" (and worse
things I'm sure) was just them having fun. If what you are doing is
hurtful to someone else, and if fun can be had without it, then I
don't get why anyone would defend it as "okay". It's not "political
correctness" to say that the term is inappropriate. If you want to
compare it to any modern movement it's more like anti-bullying.
Because that's what is going on when you call someone a "period nazi",
you're trying to make them feel bad about the thing that brings them
joy.

We don't call our friends whores, despots or murderers, so why do we
call any of them nazis? I mean unless they actually were members of
that political movement and participated in the mass genocides, in
which case have at it.

~Astridr